Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Music Critique of Be Still

Recently I agreed to critique the music of James Koerts. He has recently released his newest publication "Be Still: 10 Songs of Comfort and Encouragement" and I have had the wonderful privilege as a piano player and piano teacher to critique his music and give him some feedback on it.

From the outset as I played this music all I can say is, "WOW, WOW, WOW!" The first time I heard Mr. Koerts play was at my cousin's wedding and I was amazed at the beauty of his playing as well as the arrangements he did. I am often a little "jealous" of musicians who can just sit down and arrange music as they play. Mr. Koerts did that then and has done it again with this newest book. I continue to be amazed with his newest arrangements of some well known hymns. Many of the songs that he has arranged in "Be Still My Soul" are also my own personal favorites. I like how these arrangements can be challenging but are not too difficult for the more advance student or church pianist.

To purchase the book you can go to his website: koertsmusic.com. His website is very easy to access and maneuver through and he offers free downloadable music, music in book form for purchase, and his newest approach downloadable piano book! I love, love, love this newest idea. I am impatient sometimes when it comes to newly ordered material and the anticipation of receiving it in the mail is sometimes too hard to bear. :) I have also gotten myself in a bind at times and need a certain arrangement of music immediately and instead had to wait. This new version of purchasing music is perfect! When (not if) you purchase the music (every pianist must had this to their music library!) the easiness of check out was great! In just a few clicks I was through and the music was being downloaded!

Many of the hymns that Mr. Koerts choose to arrange have been stays in the Christian's life. Whether a pianist plays them for their own edification or to edify believer's during a Morning worship service these hymn arrangements are soothing, reflective and cause one to focus on the words of the songs.

If you are a church pianist and need some new music I highly recommend any of Mr. Koerts' music but in particular "Be Still". Follow Mr. Koerts on Facebook and check out his website!



No comments: