This post may be controversial, but I am going to write it anyways because it is something God has been burning into my heart in some very personal ways lately.
These are all things that God has been teaching me so if you don't mind me sharing what God has been doing in my life, pull up a chair, grab a cup of sweet tea or iced coffee (need something cool during these hot days!) and I'll share what God has been teaching me lately.
I recently had a discussion with one of my friends on how we view sin on a scale. Murder, Adultery etc are all the BIG sins up at the top. If you don't commit any of those than you are a "good" person. This discussion posed some thoughts in my mind that I have heard many people say "Why isn't a lie just as big of a sin as one of those? Why do we make a little white lie out to be just something little? If I talk bad about someone is that a sin? " My thoughts after that discussion have centered on this, If we watch a TV program or a DVD that has something that goes against God's holiness is it sin? Which brings us to an even greater question...What constitutes something as a sin?
Job made a covenant with his eyes, the Psalmist said he'd set no wicked thing before his eyes. We know of course that the OT saints didn't have television or the things that we have to day but they had plenty of wickedness from which they sheltered their eyes from. If these Godly men purposed in their hearts to guard what they watched how are we any different? Why do we as Christians today think it's ok to watch things that have their origin in West African idolatry, witchcraft or open, blatant adultery! We think it's funny or thrilling to pretend that something dead has been revived again. We say that we believe that marriage is for one man one woman for life or we say that it's not good to have immoral relations outside of marriage but yet we allow ourselves to watch things on TV that promote these things and are completely against God and what He has said in His word. Is a relationship with Christ just for church? Where is the line of our Christianity drawn? Do we just have to be good and right in church? Is there no fear of God before our eyes any more?
Recently the town where I live started filming a movie that focuses on dead things coming back to life. As I've researched it i have discovered the fascination in the after life, death, etc has grown immensely in both young and old people alike. I can't help but see the spirit of this age at work. As I looked up what these creatures were I discovered that their foundation is in witchcraft and idolatry two things that God abhors! Why do we as Christians have ANYTHING to do with these things.
God is burning into my heart that what we see and what we hear is implanted on our minds for a very long time, if not forever. This mind that I have, that Christ purchased on the cross of Calvary, is HIS mind. How dare we let ourselves carelessly watch and listen to things that do not glorify and edify Him! God has sobered me of late enough to remind me that I have not been taking Him as seriously and soberly as He calls me to. A soldier is serious and sober. He knows his duty and isn't detracted by fools gold (something that glitters but is not real and leads to emptiness and deadness). God forgive us for not taking Him at his word and letting ourselves be earth dwellers instead of heaven dwellers.
My intention in writing this is have not to point fingers at anyone but as God has taught me these things I can't help but share the burden on my heart.
A God Story Life ~ by Amy Vest Cox
4 years ago
2 comments:
I think this is a good post however I'm commenting to tell you the music you have on here is very good. I like it. :)
Vincent
Thank you. It is a group of ladies that sing in my church.
Post a Comment