Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Hot Heart


Tonight my girls and I read a book in devotions that really struck a chord in my heart. We read about Mary & Martha and how important it is to be busy for the Lord in His work but to be sure to never replace Him with His work. The author began the chapter with several questions... "Have you ever felt nervous, fidgety, on edge, or cranky." My internal answer was "Yes, yes, yes and yes." "Sort of like your life was falling apart and you were loosing control?" Again... sigggggh "yessss." The chapter went on asking do you lash out at people through out your day? My inner thoughts were whirling... "Ok, I'm ready to put this book down...grumble" The answer to it all was cultivating a heart devoted to God. Sometimes we get so busy FOR Jesus that we don't spend time being devoted to him. The author pointed out 4 C's that I want to remember this week.
CHOOSE to spend time with God.
CHOOSE God's ways at every opportunity
COMMIT yourself to God daily
CULTIVATE a hot heart
Shewwww... if you're like me it's time to go and repent now. As the girls and I discussed it we pointed out one of the easiest places to fall away from God is when you are busy learning about him, busy trying to serve him and busy doing doing doing for him. Because your focus is on the doing part we all forget the needful thing. Sitting at his feet.
I'm reminded of a song that says...

Sitting at the feet of Jesus
O what words I hear him say
Happy place so near so precious
May it find me there each day
Sitting at the feet of Jesus
I would look on the past
For His love been so gracious
It has won my heart at last
Sitting at the feet of Jesus
Where can mortals be more blessed
There I lay my sins and sorrows
And when weary find sweet rest
Sitting at the feet of Jesus
I love to weep and pray
While from His fullness gather
Grace and comfort Every day

No comments: