Sunday, July 08, 2007

Called to a higher Kingdom

Amy Carmichael wrote,
"We must look upon the world, with all its delights and all its attractions, with suspicion and reserve. We are called to a higher Kingdom, we are touched with a diviner Spirit. It is not that He forbids us this or that comfort or indulgence; it is not that He is stern, demanding us to follow a narrow path. But we who love our Lord and whose affections are set on Heavenly things voluntarily and gladly lay aside the things that charm and ravish the world, that, for our part, our hearts may be ravished with the things of Heaven that our whole being may be poured forth in constant and unreserved devotion in the service of the Lord who died to save us.”
Today the pastor of the church where my parents go preached from Exodus 29 about what dedicated service was. I was struck with the thought (one of which I've thought much recently) how can we be dedicated to the Lord and yet have our eyes set on this world. The quote above seems to fit into my musings. I can't see us as christians me in particular getting as close as we can to this world and yet serving God with all we have. I can't not in my mind resolve the two. It keeps coming back to where my affections are set. Am I looking above to heavenly things towards my crucified/risen Savior, or am I too capivated by the things this world has to offer? Why is it so hard to be different? Why do we shrink in fear of man's oppinions of us? Why do we have to follow the world's way. Where is the one who will be different? Why am I not more different? Why am I not that one who is different?

No comments: