Tuesday, February 10, 2015

S.A.D. Singles Awareness Day...aka Valentines Day


I am a romantic at heart. So, as a kid into my early 20's I loved Valentines day. I viewed it as a sweet day for loved ones or friends to express their love through gift giving. But by my mid 20's, V-day became my least favorite holiday. Majority if not all of my close friends where in a relationship or married and I often felt like the 3rd wheel. As I look back on that time I see how self focused I was and it causes me sigh in regret. Today in my mid 30's, I'll admit, I still feel the grip of sad feelings on occasion when Valentines day rolls around because I don't have a man. But, God has changed my thinking over the years and has since changed my perspective on V-Day, singleness, and marriage in general.

I believe God created me with this romantic side, with a desire to be wanted or loved, and with a desire for marriage. I also believe that God's will for me today is singleness. I used to get mad at God because those two facts did not coincide in my mind. I'd ask myself, "Why would God allow me to be a romantic and then curse me to be single?"  I've come to realize however, those two facts do go together because we have such an amazing wise God. God knew that I needed a desire to be wanted to drive me to my knees in dependance on Him. He knew that I would need to learn to depend on Him so that I didn't continue to make marriage, a man or romance my idol.

I see things floating around on the internet about S.A.D. day (Singles Awareness Day) and it makes me chuckle. Yes, the day does have a way of reminding a person that they are single but, what an amazing reminder. It's a reminder that God set His love on me before the world began and sent His darling only begotten Son to die on a cruel cross for me! He put me in His plan and part of that plan is singleness. Some days I wish I had a husband to share this beautiful journey with. But, those wishes have quickly fleeted of late as God has shown me the beauty and peace of being dead center in His will...for me that is singleness. God has given me the amazing chance of pouring my life into my family, nephew, nieces, my church family and His work in general. February 14, SAD day? No, I've personally declared February 14th as GLAD day. God Loves (me) Awareness Day.

To the person that may be reading this that is struggling with being "alone" on Valentines day let me challenge you as I would have challenged myself not so long ago (and even this week had to remind myself a few times) to use this Valentines to draw closer to the only One who truly knows how to love you, the God of heaven. Trust me He is pretty amazing!!

No comments: