Friday, July 14, 2006

The next generation

Recently the Pastor here at home spoke on the next generation. Every time I hear a message about this it greatly sobers me. I look around and wonder at my generation. I look at my life and wonder am I fit to stand up to the task ahead of me, carrying on the banner. This same Pastor also gave an illustration in one of his messages about a 15-16 year old boy in the community where the church is. The conversation he had with him went something like this:
Pastor: "Do your parents know where you are?"
Boy:"No, my mom doesn't care where I am."
Pastor:"Have you ever been to church before?"
Boy:"I've never seen the inside of a church in my life."
Pastor:"Do you know who Jesus is?"
The boy knew the name Jesus only as a swear word.

It struck me the generation coming up knows nothing about God and what is the church doing about it? Better yet what am I doing about it? I was so sobered by the thought that this 16 year old boy didn't know my Jesus and saddened at the thought of how much I have let my Lord down and failed Him in not telling others about Him. You think of a couple in love they are always talking about the other person. It leaves me with the sickening question how much do I love my Lord?

No comments: