Monday, June 26, 2006

The fallen mantle

I've been doing a lot of contemplating recently maybe it has to do with the death of a missionary that I knew. I don't know but it brought my thoughts in this direction.
Recently Bro. Joel Bain missionary to South Africa died of cancer. I was able to briefly get to know him and his dear wife Theresa. It was only a brief encounter but during one sunday afternoon that I spent with him and his dear wife was enough to change my thinking. Here this dear man of God was in pain and dying from cancer and his only thoughts were of God and the people in South Africa. He had everything to complain about but yet not a complaint escaped from his lips. Bro. Joel was a great man of prayer from accounts told by friends and loved ones he spent hours in prayer for his loved ones and the people of south africa. Laboring in prayer before God for others. He was a great man of God's Word as well. There are so many things that his family and others could say better than I but the one thing that struck me about him was his realness. He wasn't fake. He was transparent. The thought that has been plaguing me recently is who is going to take up the mantle of this great man of God that has fallen to the ground. Who is going to fill the shoes of this man who labored in prayer who labored in God's Word who loved the people of God who was a humble man. Not only Bro. Joel but I look at Pastor David my dad and other great men of God and I wonder when all these men are gone who is going to take their place. Where are the great men of God who are going to set all aside for Christ? My thoughts again wander back to Bro. Joel and think where are the great men of humility and meekness. I know very few young men today that are humble and meek. My heart cries out to God where are the Gideons? Where are the Joshua's? Where are the Elisha's? I think of the phrase in the Bible I can't think of where it is but all that comes to mind is I sought for a man but found none. O God have mercy on my generation and continue to raise up those faithful men of God who are humble and meek who love you more than life itself and who are willing to take a stand on truth no matter the cost.

My thoughts also have strayed a little farther to the thought that is a little closer to home. I look at Mrs. Sheila and and other great women of God and wonder when they are gone who is going to fill their shoes. Who is going to fill the shoes of the Joy Johnsons and Darlene Rivers. Who is going to fill the shoes of Sandi Rhodes and women like my mom. Women who labor quietly so many times unnoticed by their husbands sides. Where are the women of prayer? Where are the women of humility? Where are the women who desire God more than their deepset desires? Where are the women that aren't crazed for marraige? Where are the women who aren't so independent they have need of nothing? Where are the women not caught up in this world's fashion and pull? Where are the women that are like Ruth? They leave Moab and follow the Lord no matter the cost. Where are the Marys that will say I am the handmaiden of the Lord do unto me as you will (I can't think of the exact quote).
I look at my generation and wonder sometimes God how are you going to carry on your remnant through us? I wonder am I a Mary am I a Ruth? Am I going to carry on the "mantle"

God don't leave us to ourselves. Lord help us to build up a generation that knows, loves, and serves you!

O God in wrath remember mercy.

No comments: